Monday, June 30, 2014

Surprise Quickly Led to Fear…

As do most people these days, Dustin and I decided to wait until I got through the first trimester before we were going to publicly announce that I was pregnant. Things seemed to be going fine and we had our first ObGyn appointment when I was exactly 8 weeks pregnant. We were able to see our tiny little baby growing inside me.  I was SO excited that entire day. I thought for sure my blood pressure was going to be sky high because I had been so anxious that whole week/day leading up to our appointment. Luckily, my blood pressure was good, and we got to see images of our little peanut!  :)

Our first doctor visit was on a Friday, and the following Monday I was at work during my lunch break when I got one of the biggest scares of my life. I used the restroom right after the bell rang and then went back to my classroom to sit down at my desk to eat and finish some work on my computer. Everything appeared to be fine. I ate a few Baked Lays and then started to type up an email. My leg started to itch, so I reached down and scratched my upper thigh. Then I went back to typing, and as I looked down at my hands I noticed that I had blood on my right hand. I was completely puzzled. I thought maybe my face was bleeding or something, so I quickly pulled out my mirror and looked at my face. No blood. I didn't understand why I had blood on my hand. I looked at my arms and the palms of my hands. Nothing. Then I stood up and that's when I quickly figured it out. A gush of blood went rushing down my leg. My heart instantly sank and I began to feel light headed and panicked. I could feel more blood running down my leg. My hands were starting to shake and I was trying to hold back tears as I started to say prayers. I quickly walked over to the staff bathroom, keeping my head down, praying no staff member or student would approach me as this was everyone's lunch time. I went to the bathroom, started to sit down, and a huge rush of blood and something else came out. I looked down and there was a giant clot probably the size of the palm of my hand sitting in the toilet. I was crying and freaking out. I tried to clean up as best I could. Luckily, it was cold that day and I had on black leggings with a dark colored dress. Otherwise, this incident would have been even worse. If you can imagine that!

I went back to my classroom, said a few more prayers, attempted to call Dustin (who unbeknownst to me was in a staff meeting at the time with hospital administrators) and all I managed to get out before one of our phones dropped the call was a tearful, "I'm bleeding. You need to leave work now."

Then I grabbed my stuff and walked up to the front office, trying as best I could to maintain my composure. I immediately went to the principal's secretary and motioned for her to follow me to the restroom, where I took her into the very back stall, locked the door, started to cry and told her what was going on. She was SO sweet and did a pretty good job at helping to calm me down and told me not to worry about anything, just to go…leave and go see the doctor.

I left work, got in my truck and called my friend Nicole (the nurse) who helped me calm down some more and offered some advice. Then I started to drive toward the hospital in Davis as I put on speaker phone and dialed my doctor. As I was doing this, Dustin was trying to call me on the other line. I had to ignore his calls as I was put on hold waiting for my doctor who was in surgery to come on the line. Finally, she came on, I told her what had happened, she sounded very concerned, and she told me to head straight to the hospital to see her. I told her I was already on my way. Then, I called Dustin who was also already on his way, told him what was going on and agreed to meet him at Sutter Davis.

We got to the hospital and had to wait about 45 minutes before my doctor could actually get to us. We sat in a patient room as I was half naked up on an exam table, bleeding everywhere. The room was very quiet as Dustin sat next to me and I laid on my back, staring up at the ceiling praying over and over and over that our baby would be ok.

Finally, our doctor came in, performed a pelvic exam in which she told us my cervix was closed. I was SO thankful for that, as my friend Nicole had told me that would be a good sign. A little bit of relief at last. Then, she performed an ultrasound and we were able to see our baby's heartbeat for the first time. She said that she had no idea why I was bleeding and that this sort of thing could sometimes happen, but the baby seemed to be fine and had a good heartbeat, so she sent us on our way…me still bleeding…and still anxious that I had no real answer as to why this was all occurring.

There was nothing for me to do other than to:

No comments:

Post a Comment