Monday, June 30, 2014

What A Roller Coaster….

Easter Sunday we slept late and just rested in bed until about 3:00 p.m. Then, we got up and headed back to Cottonwood to get our things and fetch our dogs who were still at my mom and dad's house. We arrived, waited about an hour for dinner to be finished, ate, packed our stuff up, and rolled back down I-5 to Sac. I took the next day off and spent most of it in bed.

Two days later was Open House at my school (April 23rd). I also had a follow-up doctor appointment in Davis that day for the ER visit on Easter. I left my house around 7:00 a.m. that morning, drove to Elk Grove and got to work at about 7:30, attended a staff meeting after school, drove from Elk Grove to Davis, had a quick follow-up appointment in which my doctor told me right as she came in the room, "I  just got called to surgery", so she spent about five minutes with me - long enough to do a quick ultrasound, see the baby's heartbeat, tell me yet again she didn't know why I was still bleeding, and then said she had to go, then I drove back to Elk Grove to attend Open House. I was there until nearly 8:00 p.m. I was going to make a quick stop downtown to take food to my friend Nicole's niece who was in ICU at UC Davis, and then meet Dustin a few blocks over to have dinner. We were quickly approaching 9:00 p.m. As I was waiting for Nicole curbside at UC Davis to come pick up the food I had brought for her niece, I felt an overwhelming urge to use the bathroom. I text Nicole and told her I was just going to run in real quick, hand off the food and use the restroom. I got up to where she was, found out there was a private bathroom in her niece's room I was told I could use, and went in to do my business. Same routine: a gush of blood and a clot in the toilet. I called Nicole in the bathroom with me - my trustworthy, always by my side, always gives it to me straight, loyal, nurse friend. She told me to call my doctor and suggested that I ask her about taking me off work.

I couldn't believe this was happening to me….only three days after we had just went through this.

By this time, Dustin was already at the restaurant and had been sitting there patiently waiting for his pregnant wife to get there. It was after 9:00 p.m. at this point, and neither of us had hardly eaten all day. I called my husband who was obviously grumpy, and told him what was going on. I told him I was headed home and that I was going to call the doctor on my way, so he should stay by his phone to see if we needed to head back to the hospital again.

I couldn't get ahold of my doctor, but was able to get a message through before I left UC Davis and headed home. On my way home, my doctor called me. I pulled over to talk to her. We had a conversation that basically consisted of me saying that I didn't want to go back to hospital yet again if it wasn't going to result in any answers, her saying that she was puzzled as to what was going on, and then upon her asking me what my day had consisted of, she said she felt that I was more stressed and overwhelmed with the combination of the demands of my work and the stress of my condition than I was probably even aware of. At that point, she said, "Ya know, I don't think that working is causing any of this per se, but I do think that there's something to be said for being in the comfort of your own home and being able to rest. I think maybe you should just go out on disability for a while. Why don't you let me write a note to take you out of work." We had a quick conversation about the pros and cons and ins and outs of that, and I agreed. So, there you had it. No more work for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment